Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Little Storm

Sooooo, I take Ella to preschool & the weather is fine. I go to pick her up 2 hours later & it looks a little wet & snowy outside, but I have driven in worse. I take Ella to her "Big Sister/Sibling" class at AF hospital at 4:00, when we get out of the car we almost get blown over. We rush in & hope is passes. It didn't. I chose not to go through Highland because I figured SR-92 (alpine/highland highway) would be worse. So I get on the freeway, I'm only 10 minutes from my house & exit. It took me 30 minutes from AF 500 east to Lehi Main street, where I then decided to exit & take some back roads. I had our dog with us, thinking we wouldn't be gone long & she loves car rides & hates being kenneled all day. Well, I spent the next 2 1/2 hours traveling on state st (?) to the frontage road, passing Thanksgiving piont. Yeah!!! I was finally there. I needed to pee 2 hours ago & we were so close. I get up to the Freeway underpass & the cop is stopping everyone asking which way they are headed, & I told him, Traverse Mountain just 2 stop lights ahead. "Sorry, its closed & so is SR 92 in both directions". WHAT!!! I was so frustrated. We turned around & went to the gas station to think about what we were going to do. We went in, used the bathroom, bought snacks & gas....along with the other 150 people inside. I went around back to let the dog out to pee, she steps out & lands in the snow & scrapes her leg on something & comes whimpering back without using the bathroom. uhhhhhh!!! At this point I decided I was not going to spend the night here, Even if it took another 5 hours to get back through Lehi, to AF & then on to Highland to Dylans parents, where he was waiting for us. We started our drive, or should I say our 10 feet every 30 minutes. I open our snacks, but being pregnant makes everything akward & slippery & my peanuts spill all over the floor. I open my granola bar & half of that falls on the floor. I would have picked them up, but I can't...it's physically impossible for me to reach with a gigantic pregnant belly in the way. The crawl continues, but finally, finally we get to Highland 2 1/2 more hours later. We left the hospital at 5:20 & got to Highland about 10:40 PM. Petrea waited up for us & had some pasta waiting. Beds were ready & so were we!!!!! How did anyone forget that there was a reason why there wasn't housing developments on Traverse Mountain or Suncrest??? 70 mph winds (hurricane force)??? Oh Wait, it was all the Californians.
P.S. There was a baby born at the Maverick, they made everyone leave so she could have some privacy, & then I think around 150 actually slept at the gas station...so I heard. Over 90 car crashes & 30 slide-offs.

1 comments:

Brett said...

Here is my contribution to "The 'Little' Storm"--

I had to leave work a little bit early because of a prior engagement. The early part of the drive was no different--smooth sailing with few cars on the road.By the time I got to the AF Main St. exit the wind had picked up and it was blowing a little snow over the freeway....causing some mild slowing, but no loss in travel time. I exited and drove home. By that time the wind was blowing quite hard and it made taking the garbage can in a little difficult because I had to use those little stabilizer muscles to keep it up on its wheels--and I had previously checked the mail and had that in my other hand. So, I was pulling the trash bin with one hand. ONE HAND!!

I then proceeded to put away the garbage can and walk into the warm house where listened to all the news reports of all the suckers, I mean people, who were stuck on I-15 trying to drive to Traverse Mtn.

Talk about a lesson in patience. I really had to focus on keeping that garbage upright in that horrible wind.

I think we all suffered that day.