Monday, March 23, 2009

Fruit & Veggie Co-Op

So I recently joined a Fruit & Veggie Co-Op/Share. I heard about it from more than one neighbor & so far it has been Great! The Co-Op is a group of people who pool their time, resources and buying power together to purchase good quality fresh fruits and vegetables at a low cost. They purchase in bulk and save money. I go to a ladies home/garage where she has labeled amounts of each item & you fill up your box in 5 minutes & you're on your way. I have noticed the quality is better than the groceries that are all picked over & sometimes old.

The above picture is considered a "Full Share" ( I split it with my Sister-in-law). It was $10, a "Half Share" is $5.
The full share contained......

1 cauliflower
1 romain lettuce
1 celery
10 tomatoes
4 large onions
1 bunch green onions
5 oranges
7 apples
6 bananas
2 avacados
1 mango

WOW! I find that it has increaased my desire to more healthy & prepare more things for my family. Also to get creative. I am going to make French Onion soup this week to use up the onions. The babes are nearing 1 year (this Sunday..AHH!) & can eat most everything now. They do not like eating baby foods anymore & have healthy appetites. Ella has alwasy been an excellent eater of both fruits & vegetables. We have definetely increased our intake of healthy foods!!

4 comments:

Maughan"sters" said...

I haven't heard of this, but I'm very interested! You need to give me more info!

Ella is so cute! Happy Birthday to the twins in a few days!

Let me know when you need a nap and I can help out sometime.

Beck said...

Totally know what you mean about this making you want to cook healthier. Its the best love it!

Becky O said...

Thank you so much for sending me the email for this. I totally want to get in on this. Yummy!

Megan said...

I've been reading about vegetable co-ops and I want to know how I can find and join one out here. Anything that inspires you to eat healthier as well as to have fresher foods is all good.